Nettoyage de printemps

That's French for Spring Cleaning.
 I wish there was something romantic about this project but the ugly truth is that my kitchen has been sorely neglected. It needs more than just Spring cleaning.  It needs a total renovation.  I'm going for a French farmhouse look when my dream kitchen emerges from the depths of this abyss.  But there are more than a few steps between neglected farmhouse and French farmhouse  I can't afford the counter top I want or the appliances that I want.  The old pine floors are looking well.... old.  The cupboards are icky and the walls need a fresh coat of pain.  And I can't afford to let things go any longer.  
I CAN however afford elbow grease.
 
 So this week we worked on counters and appliances.  I've heard of people painting their counter tops with great success so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  I mean, the thing couldn't get any worse, right?!  The key to making the paint stick is the primer. I used an oil based primer and let it dry over night.  Then I applied two coats of satin finish latex paint.  Again, let it dry very well between coats.

 I was hoping to get the color of cement (yeah, I know, I could just pour a cement counter but we've been a little busy round these parts lately and this was the finish that I could do without Mr. Blessings help.  Maybe later this summer we can tackle the real deal).   I did dry brush some brown and cream and silver to give it some depth.  Somehow that cement gray was more bland than I thought it would be.

 Ok, here's an important thing to know about painting counter tops...  Use lots of layers of clear coat and let them dry completely between coats.  I used a semi-gloss polyacryllic.  If you are someone who chops food directly on the counter, you're supposed to use a food-safe sealer.  However, I can't think of ANY painted surface that's going to hold up to chopping!  Just use a cutting board.
(As you can see the cabinets got primed once upon a time but I had to put the doors back on after weeks of not getting the project done.  So that's what we hope to tackle next week) 

 Have you ever painted appliances?  It was surpisingly easy. 
When.... Ok, IF we ever get the kitchen done, I'll share the finished photos with you.
Hope your weekend projects are less work and more romantic!

20 comments:

  1. Wow..can't wait to see the finished room!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of painting the counter top, I'm in big need of one and can't afford it right now. Please let us know how the paint is holding up. I know people that have painted counter tops and they chip very easily, may be is the kind of paint they are using, I have also seen how they paint the appliances and they look like new once finished. I applaud you for being so brave. You kitchen is looking very pretty.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  3. I MUST know what paint you used for your fridge! it looks fab! my fridge wants to look like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they look great!
    I admire your ingenuity!
    :)
    ~Becca~

    ReplyDelete
  5. aren't you ambitious...

    the countertops came out great Polly

    xo+blessings,
    Anne Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woww I am amazed !!
    I never knew you could paint
    counter tops ~
    They look awesome !!!

    xoxo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing! It looks like cement counter top! You are my newest hero--I want a new kitchen so bad--but, will be a couple of years yet. Please share more photos soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love how the counter tops turned out and I can't wait to see how the fridge turns out!! Hope your son is doing well.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. The counter tops look like smooth cement! I like that. They look great!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how your kitchen is looking. I can hardly wait to see how the frig turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh.. I love seeing you do this dramatic change ~ your courage to take such a bold step and your perseverance to see it through!
    They look absolutely fabulous!!!
    I really love your blog especially the blessing part, so glad I found you! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Blessings,
    ~ Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. the counter top looks amazing! great job!! looking forward to seeing the fridge all painted as well...what type of paint do you use for appliances?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your brave girl! The counter tops look wonderful!
    theresa
    aka:tot

    ReplyDelete
  14. The counter tops look amazing. How brave you were but it certainly paid off! I love the "making something wonderful" with what we already have...don't you? Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings and Hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are one brave woman with a lot of vision. It really came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your helpful information and the countertops look, AMAZING!!
    Can't wait to see the rest, please keep updating your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember when we moved into our first fixer, we couldn't replace the ugly mustard countertops right away so I spray painted them! It takes alot of courage and you have to have the "if it turns out great, if not, oh well" attitude. Your's looked wonderful! Good job!
    :)clare

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your countertop looks awesome! I tried using actual countertop paint with icky results. The paint chipped and scratched very easily. I think I'm going to try what you did. Hope and prayers coming your son's way.
    Hugs,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing about refrigerator painting.

    I spray painted my bathroom counter top years ago with appliance spray paint. has lasted great for 17 years!!

    Easter Blessings to you and your family!

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow I stopped by to see how your so was doing..
    wow looks like you are in a painting frenzy something is motivating you...bless you & donlt think I have the energy for that these days.
    Cant wait to finally meet you. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete

Something worth sharing...
"Blessed are those that can give without remembering and receive without forgetting."
-- Author Unknown

Looking for something that used to be on the sidebar? Click HERE

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover