Name Drawing

17 years ago today I gave away my childhood name. It was a name that was respected. Know how I know? Because when I gave it up to get married, I lost the immediate recognition of being known by my parents reputation. It's not that I was gaining a bad family name but by taking his name, I took his reputation. Friends were surprised when we eloped. They said we were an unlikely match. Turns out they were right.

Instead of "You're Don & Kay's daughter? They were my Sunday School teachers"... -or- "They let me let me stay with them for a few weeks when I didn't have anywhere to go"... -or- "They gave me money for groceries"... it became "You would not believe the crazy stuff your husband did at that party..." Of course, I also had my own reputation to live down. I'd made my own wrong choices. It's surprising how little it actually takes to change someone's opinion of you.

I kept his name after the divorce because I had two children. Just like every single, working mom, I was struggling to get by financially, emotionally. Trying to build a new life, a new name for myself. My credit was wrecked and my old life seemed to follow me. Afterall, a tree is known by it's fruit, right?!

When I met Steve, his parents reputation preceded him. I'd heard about them through my childhood because we had mutual friends. Oddly, in all those years, we never actually met one another. His parents were leaders in their church, kind and giving... known for taking in teens that need help, etc. Steve had never married, worked two jobs to pay off his college debts, bought some property, lived at home and helped his parents raise their 6th and unexpected child. Friends had always said that I'd love that Hood boy. Turns out they were right. After we were married I had the honor of carrying a name that by association alone enstilled trust. My credit was repaired simply by marriage. In no time at all it was as if all those years were wiped off the slate.

What’s in a name? That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet. Ahh... young Juliet. A name carrys so much! These days when Steve and I are teaching the jr. high class, I can tell them from my heart what it meant not just to have Steve's name but how huge it was when Christ gave me His name.

Names of God Song (will open in a new window)


And if names aren't important to you, you must not be in the name-drawing =). Wasn't that wretchedly coy of me?! Our random number generator has selected number 17, which is Tea & Margaritas in My Garden! Miss Tea, please email me with your mailing address and I'll ship out your copy of Vintage Valentine. If any of the rest of you would still like a copy, it's available for purchase here. Wanna read about the names of God? Go here.

16 comments:

  1. I need to post a devotional that I wrote a last year I think... It is so much in tune with your post today......... Same theme... trying to live down the old man... Oh my gosh I have struggled with that... beautiful post today it blessed my heart...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Polly, I tried to e-mail you twice but it keeps bouncing back to me for some reason.

    Thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to visit me and leave a nice comment too.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polly...we loved that story that you left on our blog...so wonderful and sweet!

    smiles, kari and kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Polly...I loved your post today! Congrats to the winner also!
    Blessings,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polly, you always so insightful!!! I am proud to carry THIS (final) husband's name, too! Love! Esther

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Polly! I once believed that name and reputation had little value, boy, was I in for a rude awakening! Thankfully, I got straightened out:) Loved your post today. Congrats to the winner of your book!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Polly, great post.
    It is amazing the differeence a name can make.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wretchedly coy...you funny funny girl. This is such a great post as always!!!! I'm going to send an invoice on the yoyos in a minute :) Thank you sister!
    Mama was showing me today an old puzzle she has glued together in which Hood's Sasparilla is on the side of a barn! I told her about you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Polly, what a beautiful post you have written today. If I catch that thrift fairy I'll send her your way. You have beautiful blog too, I'm putting you in my blogroll and definately coming back for more!
    best wishes,
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Polly, beautiful and thought provoking post! Congrats to Miss Tea!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always strike a cord...after my divorce I took back my maiden name and have never had any regrets...

    bless you for wearing your heart on your sleeve

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Polly, great post bless you for sharing too :) Well I (Jenn) could not let go of my maiden name. When I told my Dad I wanted to marry, he was a little sad LOL and as I was their last child, I decided to have a hyphenated surname so I could keep my name too. It's just that it all a long mouthful so it has to be shortenend sometimes for convenience and to actually fit within the boxes on some paperwork!! Oh and re the floating in our bannner, it is cool isn't it! Jacqui will email you with all the details later on today, she does all our stuff, I would not have a clue!! LOL Have a great day Polly! :) Jenn and Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Polly! lovely post! the cherub mirror arrived yesterday, safe and sound, thank you so much,I shall treasure it! best wishes,Gena xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Thanks so much Polly!! What a surprise :)
    Love your beautiful and inspiring blog.

    tea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is way too much of a coincidence! I just posted a post with the same Shakespeare post - with a totally different bent! My internet has been off about 36 hours so I missed your last couple of post....

    Anyway, I am having a giveaway...stop by.
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete

Something worth sharing...
"Blessed are those that can give without remembering and receive without forgetting."
-- Author Unknown

Looking for something that used to be on the sidebar? Click HERE

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover